Saturday, December 6, 2008

Excusing vs. Forgiving

As part of one of my classes, I am reading a great, great book: Peacemaking Women: Biblical Hope for Resolving Conflict. I admit, when I first saw the title, I thought (in my sarcastic voice), "Great, a fluffy book that's going to drive me crazy and be all sentimental." However, from the moment I opened the book, I was captured. The book goes much deeper than simply, "Let's just all get along" - it talks about conflicts with God, conflicts with others, and conflicts within (like shame, fear and depression). It also draws in Scripture in such a way that it hits home in very practical ways. I sense that the Lord is actually going to use this book in my life in a deep way...


Here's one quote that struck me as I was reading a chapter on Forgiveness this morning:
"... Excusing somebody is not the same thing as forgiving her. Too often, even in the church, we are taught to excuse others rather than to forgive. Have you ever heard (or said) something like this: 'Yes, she wronged me, but she was going through a really hard time and I really wasn't there for her--so I forgive her.' This is not forgiving; it is excusing. Excusing says, 'On the basis of some external criteria, I release you.' True biblical forgiveness says, 'On the basis of God's forgiving me for my sin, I forgive you.' ... Excusing does not last. Forgiveness lasts forever."~Tara Klena Barthel & Judy Dabler, Peacemaking Women: Biblical Hope for Resolving Conflict (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005), 114.~

2 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting point, and a good one. Funny how many things in life we say that we think means one thing, but in actuality, means something totally different. Thanks sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Sounds like a really good book. Maybe I should either borrow your copy or get one myself. (Except I have too many books already!)

    ReplyDelete