Sunday, February 10, 2008

Maelstrom

"Holy, You are still holy,
even when the darkness surrounds my life.

Sovereign, You are still sovereign,
even when confusion has blinded my eyes."


At first, I didn't care for this song by Rita Springer ("You Are Still Holy"). The sound of the song isn't exactly beautiful, at least conventionally so. Rita Springer's voice took some "getting used to" on my part. But when our worship team first began to use this song about a year ago, the lyrics took root deep inside me during a dark time in my life. Now, I think it is one of the most profound worship songs I know.

We all go through times in which our thoughts trap us in whirlpools large and small. When confusion replaces clarity, and we lose our way in a multiplicity of perspectives on one concrete situation. When we are in the eye of the tornado, terrified by the shrieking winds that threaten to tear us away, tear us apart, at any moment. In the midst of the horror, the confusion, the mistakes, the misperceptions, the despair, the defeat, God is sovereign. In the midst of multiplicity, God is One. In the midst of loneliness, God is Trinity, Love itself.

When my mind spins so fast that I am too dizzy to center myself and pray, there is One who prays on my behalf. When I am too confused to feel, to process, to ask, He calls. He calms. He loves. He provides.

"Lord, I don't deserve Your tender patience
when my unbelief has kept me from your touch.

I want my life to be a sweet devotion to You."

Lord, have mercy on this poor sinner.

http://www.ritaspringer.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment over on my post. You're right about having to get through life with others - that is one of the reasons I like Redeemer so much.

    This post of yours is a very helpful reminder to me of who God is and how he relates to us. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete