Monday, January 10, 2011

Surgery and Cold Comfort Farm

A few days ago, I had surgery: nasal septoplasty and turbinate resection, to be exact.  I know, very glamorous.  It went well -- I ended up not even having to stay in the hospital overnight -- although I am definitely feeling wiped out!  Too wiped out to do much other than watch TV, sleep, and read a bit.

Photo courtesy of Erik Rosengren

I did, however, finish another book on the List: Cold Comfort Farm.  I'd been looking forward to this one, having seen the movie with some good friends.  It's one of their favorite movies, and I liked it too.

The upstanding citizens of Cold Comfort Farm...
I enjoyed the book even more than the movie (surprise, surprise).  It is hilarious!  It's intended as a parody of some popular books at the time (1930s), as well as classics such as Wuthering Heights.

Stella Gibbons' style is not exactly subtle -- which is part of the book's charm.  A character named Aunt Ada Doom?  The Starkadder clan in general?  Cattle named Graceless, Feckless, Aimless, and Pointless, and a bull named Big Business?  Hilarious.

So in case you couldn't tell, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of Cold Comfort Farm, every overwrought metaphor, every paragraph dripping with cloying prose... Get the picture?

Next up: 1984 by George Orwell.  Apparently Big Brother is watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment