Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Liturgy of Lament? Done.
Sermon on Psalm 126? In progress. NOT panicking. Really
Books and reading reports for class on Sexual Identity? Thursday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way (particularly for Ryan), I think I figured out what my mysterious factor "X" has been, although I think the equation will actually have to include X1 and X2 . For me, X1 is the thought/feeling that since I'm not going to be able to complete whatever task is before me "perfectly" (at least according to my standards), what's the use in trying? Interesting and slightly twisted, eh? I think there's still an X2 floating around out there....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the hats I currently wear at TEDS is that of the president of a group for women graduate students (the group has been through many names with just as many acronyms, none of which I remotely find enjoyable). We are welcoming a guest speaker next Monday, Carolyn Custis James, and I'm really excited! Among other things, I'm intrigued by the fact that she was one of the first women students to register at Dallas Theological Seminary... Check out her short Bio.

While I was looking at one of the blogs to which Ms. James occasionally contributes, I ran across an interesting article: The Rise of Gender Fundamentalism. Frightening. But I fear that in some circles, it strikes all too close to home...

1 comment:

  1. So jazzed to hear Carolyn Custis James on Monday!

    I am a fan of Sarah Sumner, another trailblazer like Carolyn C.J. Bill and I really appreciated Sumner's wise and kind volume, Men and Women In The Church (http://books.google.com/books?id=vb0PmnoUT3YC&dq=Sarah+Sumner&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=0TWfSeSpC4jTnQfsxpn9DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1).

    Glad to hear Garrett and the AMIA Winter Conference went well. You're being stretched in lots of exciting ways these days!!

    ReplyDelete