Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An Annotated Psalm

Psalm 63

1. You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you, [Yes, Lord, this is exactly where I am tonight]
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water. [Yes, Lord, I am so thirsty in this place]

2. I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory [Yes, Lord, thank you for the privilege of seeing you work at my church, of participating in your work there!]
3. Because your love is better than life
my lips will glorify you. [Wow, I can barely comprehend what that means - but it resonates within me! And yes, may it be!]
4. I will praise you as long as I live, [Yes, Lord, I will]
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5. I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods, [fully satisfied - wow, that's powerful]
with singing lips my mouth will praise you. [Yes, Lord - thank you for the joy of singing to you with all my might!]

6. On my bed I will remember you; [that's exactly what I'm doing right now]
I think of you through the watches of the night. [it amazes me when a Psalm hits so dead-on with where I'm at]
7. Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings. [Wow - I've never thought about this verse before - "singing" in the shadow of His wings - I bet that'll come to mind the next time I lead in worship]
8. I cling to you; [yes, Lord]
your right hand upholds me. [thank you, Lord!]

9. Those who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
10. They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals. [Verses like these always remind me that the Psalms were NOT written just for my personal devotions.]

11. But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God will glory in him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced. [Lord, even though these verses don't make me "feel" like I'm connecting with you in the same way so much of this Psalm does, I thank you for them. And I thank you that justice belongs to you, and that you watch over those who fear You. Help me live in such a way that I rejoice and glory and rest and work and trust in You!]

1 comment:

  1. This is great Amanda. Thanks for writing it. I can easily identify with it, and it leads me into a kind of worship.

    ReplyDelete