Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Recent readings

I haven't posted since last October -- yikes!  It's a whole new year!

The main reason it's been so long is because Les Miserables took me a reeeeaaaaallllly long time to get through.  I'm glad I read it, but it definitely wasn't one of those books I could fly through quickly.

My favorite parts in the book:  the beginning -- particularly the life-altering encounter between Valjean and the Bishop; and the ending -- the way Hugo ties everything together.  My least favorite part: the lengthy descriptions of Waterlook, Napoleon, etc.  Maybe my knowledge of French history is lacking -- or maybe I'm just not that interested in reading about war tactics.  On the other hand, I found myself fascinated by the lengthy description of the sewers and the sewer system!  What does that say about me... ?

Victor Hugo was remarkably insightful in matter of faith, character, and spirituality -- I'd like to go back sometime and glean some quotes for future sermons.

After I finished Les Mis (which, by the way, I read entirely on my iPhone, and during the months I read it, I constantly had the soundtrack from the musical playing in my head because, yes, I can pretty much sing the entire thing verbatim), I was ready for something a bit less "thick".  I turned to...

Dune!  I didn't use to consider myself much of a science fiction person, but lately I've realized... I actually am.  I loved reading Dune!  I went through it very quickly, fascinated by the characters and world Frank Herbert creates.  I thought about reading the sequels to it rather than continuing with my BBC list, but I decided to plug along.  I'm sure I'll pick up the sequels at some point.

So now, I'm enthralled by Bram Stoker's Dracula!  Again, probably not a book I would want to read if it weren't on my list, since I'm not a fan of the horror genre -- but I am LOVING it!  I didn't expect for it to be told through first hand accounts (particularly journal entries) -- and for me, that makes it more interesting.  I suppose that given my liking for Dr. Who, I shouldn't be surprised to find myself enjoying Dracula.


65 read, 35 to go! 

In other news, I really want a piano.  It's been far too long since I've lived without one.  And by the way, I'm accepting donations.  :)

Something like this would be nice...

1 comment: